Monday, July 28, 2008

the old man turns 64 in NYC!

So the annual "boys" trip took us to the city that never sleeps, or in our case, the city where all you do is eat- yes, New York City! My father was celebrating his "64 and kickin' ass!" birthday and Jaime and I wanted to make it a memorable one. So our first stop was to devour a pie at his favorite food spot of all time. John's Pizza on Bleeker St. in the village - 'nuff said.













After two huge pies, here's what remained when the dust settled:













And this was just day 1!

The next day, dad and Jaime did some bargain shopping while I went over to Hoboken, NJ for my first meeting with Wiley Publishing. (For info on that news, post below).

When I returned, I had to jump in on the action and we all went home with some new digs. Interesting note: our taste in clothing has actually become more similar as we have gotten older. I think we all bought the same shirt at Jcrew. They should turn that into a commercial.

Anyway, on Friday night, we ate at a fantastic Mexican restaurant with my cousin PETE! and a few of his friends and then we gave dad our 2nd big gift which were fantastic house seats (thanks Christian!) to the Broadway show, South Pacific.

The next day, we took the subway to my father's old stomping grounds, the Bronx! to take in a Yankee game at old Yankee Stadium before it gets torn down. Great seats and a great game -my dad's yanks pulled it out in extra innings.

Here's a view from our seats:









Finally, we had a fantastic dinner at a delicious steakhouse called The Palm. Jaime invited out some great people and, of course, my 64 year-old dad fit right in with the thirty-somethings. He's a special guy - I feel really honored and blessed to have these types of experiences with him.


In true Corey and Jaime fashion, we wanted to absolutely humiliate my father with a rendition of happy birthday that would echo through the streets of Broadway. Luckily, Jaime's friend Bob had just the opera voice we needed to fill my dad's cheeks with a perfect shade of red. And as seen in the pic below, what followed the singing was the most gigantic pieces of cake i had ever seen. Simply put: New York does it big. Their cakes are no exception.


And that wraps up another Perlman boys adventure. Where to next? Only time will tell. But one thing is for sure, I wouldn't miss it for the world.










Till next time,


corey


No comments: